As many of you know I am a hairdresser, and lot of you have asked for styling tips and ideas. Sometimes I have a difficult time expressing to people and clients hairstyles ideas that I think are simple and stylish to reproduce. So, I asked my momma blogger friend Nicole (visit her here) to demonstrate her two signature styles. Don't you just love her sleek bun? She has the perfect face for that that super chic look!
Hello Amongst The Knick Knacks readers, I'm Nicole from Pussycat Vintage! I have to say I am very flattered to be on Miss Deb's blog today! When she came to me about this post I found out that she had quite brilliantly come up with names for the two ways I wear my hair the most. I think they're quite fitting and hilarious. Only Deb would do something so sweet and awesome! So here they are, The Pussycat and The Nicole. This is the first time since I was 14 that I have had long hair so styling it is a whole new world to me. I want to mention real quick that all of these photos were taken by my 11 year old, Logan. I think he did a great job and he was very patient with his mama!
1. I always start by washing, conditioning and blow drying my hair so it's nice and clean. I also make sure my flat iron is getting nice and toasty.
2. I section my hair off with bobby pins to curl sections at a time. This way I know every piece gets curled and I don't have some rogue straight piece roaming around.
3. I curl sections about this wide one at a time and start higher up and curl my way down.
4. I wrap the entire section around the iron, all the way down to the tip. I curl it for 5-7 seconds.
5. Your curls should come out like this. Long ringlets. I usually make some tighter and some looser.
6. Curl all of your hair in these ringlets so they look like this. Ringlet city baby!
7. Run your fingers through your hair several times to loosen up the curl and separate them. This gives your hair more body and bounce!
8. Smile, and enjoy those pretty soft, full curls! I usually add a little bit of hair spray to make sure everything stays in place for the day.
1. Pull your hair up into a tight ponytail on the very top of your noggin. Make sure you don't have any crazy bumps or stray pieces hanging out.
2. Twist your ponytail so that it looks like this.
3. Take your twisted pony tail and start wrapping it around the base of your ponytail into a bun.
4. Take the end of the ponytail and wrap it under your bun.
5. Grab those bobby pins and start pinning your bun in place. I try to stay as close as possible to the bottom of the bun.
6. Pin up any stray pieces and check out your sweet bun! I wear this a lot because I am almost never in the mood to do my hair, who is? It's a great quick and easy look!
All photos taken by this handsome guy with the afro that desperately needs picked out, my son Logan.
Since joining Instagram, I have been able to connect with so many stellar people. I have started having so many good relationships and even picked up a few pen pals! One IG user and I have become pals from my Etsy shop, I noticed that she was buying all the dresses I had for sale that were just a bit too snug for me. A couple of weeks ago I thrifted an AMAZING 50's dress that was half a size too small, so i took a picture,posted it on Instagram, and two seconds later Julia said she wanted it ! I then asked her if she had a particular dress still avaliable in her shop, and of course she did. The next thing I know we had ourselves a little dress swap going on! How fun is that ? Here are some snap shots of our dress swap.
She's in sunny California.
I am in snowy Illinois.
You can visit Julia here. Stay tuned for my dress swap adventures!
What an honor! Wolfgang was featured today as a the weekly kiddo on Modern Kiddo. We are so flattered in our little household, especially since the dynamic duo Alix and Dottie have such beautiful children of there own! I feel like such a specially momma!
(Logo is property of Modernkiddo.com and Wolfie was touchup up by the modernkiddo tech crew)
In the mix of being sick and packing I also was house and pet sitting for my Pal Meredith. She has two lovely little fur children, as well as a newly moved in home full of amazing treasures.
As tempted as I was to take some of her treasures home, I mind my manners and left everything as it was. I did eat the coffee cake I made though, but I was oh so tempted to carry home her pistachio colored kitchen aid!
As sick as I was these little fur friends were there to cheer me up and help me keep Wolfgang entertained while I tried not to die.
Thursday through Sunday were just a black hole, I got really really sick. I had not been that ill since before I was married. So, I am a bit behind in life currently as I was paying homage to the porcelain gods, the house work and packing fell to the way side. I remember growing up and my mom would become ill and it felt like everything was up for grabs! Now that I have officially experienced being sick as a mom, I have sympathy for all moms out there who become sick and run the household. Thank goodness I am on the up and up and things are back on track.
Let the packing begin! We are moving in a few weeks into a new apartment with a better layout for our little family. So as I pack up all my knick-knacks and treasures from our current place, my mind is swimming with ideas for our new place. I feel that, now, I know my style and I am comfortable with it. I like color, kitsch, and art. With so many ideas out on the world wide web (thanks to all the awesome bloggers out there) I am starting to put some ideas together from my favorite blogs and Pinterest. Here are some things that are my current inspiration.